Friday, November 18, 2011

Success in the Savanna 11-18-11

Dear Parents,
         
As we close out this week I want to thank my amazing parents who joined our group at the Outdoor Lab on Tuesday.  Unfortunately, my own health conditions kept me from joining the team but I knew that my parents (and students) would do a superb job despite my absence.  I’ve heard numerous tales about the animals and nature walk – I was so excited to learn that my team even discovered a turtle shell on their walk.  Way to go third grade naturalists!

The first report cards of the year came home with your child today.  Please take a few minutes to go over this document with them during the weekend.  I always suggest reviewing the comments first and then looking over the work skills section to see areas in which the student is already performing at Satisfactory or even Outstanding levels of performance.  Letters such as an “I” or “U” indicate that performance is not yet at a satisfactory level but certainly can reach this level with added effort.  I like to consider these areas as the child’s individual goals for the coming quarter.  Further information about the APS grading system can be found on the back of the blue report card.  These quarterly sheets are yours to keep.  All parents should sign and return the blue, card stock, insert along with the manila envelope and comment sheet.  Additionally, please feel free to contact me if you or your child has any questions about the report card.  Overall, I am very pleased with the performance of my students this quarter.  I eagerly look forward to our many successes in quarter two!

There are also a couple of housekeeping items this week.  First, as of this week I will be posting this document on my blog.  I would like to use the blog as the primary form of delivery after the Thanksgiving break.  You may access my blog through the main Tuckahoe website by going to the classroom tab, choosing third grade and then selecting my classroom website.  Second, I know that the basketball season is quickly approaching.  If any of your children are playing on a team please send me their schedule, as they become available.  I enjoy going to the games on Friday evenings and Saturday mornings. 

Below are a few important dates to put on your calendars.
         
Wed., Nov. 23-Fri., Nov. 25- Thanksgiving Break- No School
Tues, Dec. 13- London Brass Rubbing (more details to follow)
Wed., Dec. 21-Early Release
Fri., Dec. 23-Fri., Dec. 30- Holiday Break- No School
Mon., January 3, 2012- School Reopens

          I hope you and your families enjoy the holiday break and the time together.  I want you all to know how thankful I am to be your child’s teacher.   Each child has touched my heart in a special and unique way. I am grateful to be part of their lives.  To all of you, thank you for sharing them with me each day.

                                                                             Sincerely,

                                                                             Ms. Coffman

No comments:

Post a Comment