Friday, January 20, 2012

Multiplication Fact Practice!


January 17, 2012

Dear Students and Parents:

This week begins our unit on multiplication and division.  I will be starting weekly drills with the students in the hope of building fact fluency and accuracy.  To start, we will be doing these once a week; within time we will be doing these twice per week.  I strongly recommend nightly review/practice of the facts starting with lower level facts (0-5) and building to the higher (6-12).  For now, review of 10-15 minutes per night is suggested.  Depending on the pace at which you are learning your facts, you can increase or decrease this time in the coming weeks.

For your convenience, I have included a list of my favorite multiplication sites for your use.  Many are available as links on the Tuckahoe Kids Page and your child is already familiar with my three, favorite sites.   Please look into these as they allow your child to practice independently.  Also, I suggest picking up a pack of multiplication flash cards at the local Dollar Store and Target (be sure that they go through the 12x table).  If necessary, I have surplus flash cards in my classroom that I will gladly loan you during this process.  Please let me know, via email or note, if you would like to borrow a set. 

I am providing each child with a sheet to record the nightly practice – see attached.  Unless your child is specifically asked to do so, I will not be collecting these sheets to verify nightly practice.  I am counting on your child – and you – to do his or her best to complete this practice each night until these facts are mastered.

As always, thanks for all that you do to support our learning process!

Theresa Coffman
Tuckahoe ES


Ms. Coffman’s Top Three:

Find virtual flashcards which give instant feedback.  Try the games also
This is a link on Tuckahoe Kids page called “A+ Math”

Find too many multiplication (and division) games to play alone or with partner. 
This is a link on Tuckahoe Kids page called “Gamequarium”

These are great practice – see how many can be done in 10 minutes. 


Runner-ups:

Try the games or lessons; many options available including worksheets

Try the factor or product games


Interesting options:



No comments:

Post a Comment